Early Surgical Abortion
Early Surgical Abortion
Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
At Metropolitan Medical Associates all surgical procedures are performed under anesthesia. Most procedures generally take 10-15 minutes to complete followed by a short stay in the Recovery room. You will be discharged with written post-operative instructions. Be sure to arrange for pick-up by a friend or family member.
What you can expect for an Early Surgical Abortion
- Receptionist will greet you and ask you to complete a medical history form
- After a review of your chart, you will be escorted to the laboratory where you will leave a urine specimen in order for your pregnancy to be confirmed and a small amount of blood will be drawn to test for anemia and to determine your RH factor.
- Private one-on-one consultation with one of our Board Certified Gynecologists where the doctor will perform an ultrasound to confirm the size of your pregnancy.
- A qualified peer counselor will then explain the abortion procedure to you. Here you will be given the opportunity to ask questions and to discuss your feelings and concerns about your decision. The counselor will give you post-operative instructions and discuss risks and complications with you. She will also be happy to talk about birth control methods that are available to you.
- In the operating room, you will be attended to by a Registered Nurse, an Anesthesiologist, and doctor. The anesthesiologist will start an IV, and will monitor your anesthesia throughout the procedure.
- Your surgery will be performed by one of our Board Certified Gynecologists by dilating (widening) your cervix in order to pass a vacurette into the uterus. The thin plastic device will gently remove the pregnancy tissue, completing the procedure. The process should take between 7 and 10 minutes.
- Following the surgery, you will be taken to our Recovery Room where a Registered Nurse will monitor your vital signs and bleeding.
- Once you are well enough to sit in a chair, you will be offered a pain reliever and a snack.
- Before you are discharged by a Registered Nurse to a responsible adult who can drive you home, you will be given oral and written post-operative instructions. Approximately, 30 minutes after your procedure you will be discharged.
Exclusivity Available (Enhanced Privacy)
Evening appointments are available Monday through Saturday, in the utmost private, dignified, confidential, safe and caring environment. Please notify us when requesting your appointment.
>> Patient Notifications <<
ACCREDITATION & AFFILIATIONS
Being a AAAASF | The Gold Standard in Accreditation, our center must adhere to strict rules and regulations set forth by the State of New Jersey and the Department of Health & Human Service
We are a proud member of National Abortion Federation (NAF).