Things to Know
Things to know after you’ve made the decision to have an abortion.
First of all, you must choose an abortion provider or abortion clinic for your procedure.
Depending on where you live, options may be numerous or in many cases, very few. Experienced, qualified abortion providers or hospitals providing abortion care have become scarce in the past few years as more abortion-related state laws and restrictions are imposed.
It is a good idea to speak to your regular physician, a family member or close friend. They may be able to recommend an abortion facility known for its experience and quality care.
Be sure to ask plenty of questions when you call an abortion facility or private doctor’s office before making your appointment.
Prior to your arrival at an abortion clinic, you are entitled to know:
- The cost of the procedure, and if your insurance may be applied
- The name of the physician and what his/her credentials are
- The location of the nearest hospital, and if the operating physician has privileges there
- The types of anesthesia that the facility offers and how it is administered
- What if any fees you will be charged, if the procedure cannot be done for any reason
Having some information before your visit will hopefully help to relieve some of the anxiety and stress you may be experiencing.
Check our question page for more information about abortion procedures.